Today, I spent almost the whole day (okay, I also did the groceries) looking for all the stuff I need for my own Primo set.
My favourite online electronics store is Tayda. They’re cheap, have low shipping costs and are fast.
And… once a month they publish a discount code on their Facebook page.
So, I’m trying to get everything there (but I know that won’t happen )
I already decided to use two Shrimps as replacements for the Arduino’s.
For the UNO that’s not a problem, because the Shrimp is a substitute for the UNO.
But for the Mega it’s a different story.
Primo uses the Mega primarily for the 16 analog inputs. Well, that can be accomplished with 2 CD4052′s.
And to be sure I’ll got enough digital inputs/outputs also, I’ve ordered some CD4021 (digital ShiftIn) and I have some 74HC595 (digital ShiftOut) laying around.
The motor driver turns out to be a L293D and Tayda has it for just € 0,90!
XBee and Arduino Proto Wireless Shield
These are the two most expensive parts of Primo. So it should be possible to find cheaper alternatives.
And… I’ve found this: XRF wireless RF radio UART RS232 serial data module XBee shape at Ciseco.
For € 28,80 I’ve got two XBee-alternatives with the same pinout as the XBee.
I’ve also ordered two active breakout boards, so that they can be used with the 5V RX/TX-ports of the Shrimp.
Hopefully they’ll do the job for me, but I have good hope they will.
SolarBotics Gear Motor and Wheels and Ball Casters
The gear motors are sold out at SolarBotics, so I had to find another supplier.
I tried finding one in Europe, to save on shipping cost.
I’ve found these three items at
AlphaCrucis in Switzerland.
They don’t have the 1/2″ ball casters, so I’ve ordered 3/8″ ones.
Now I have to alter the lasercutter files !
I found a webshop in the Netherlands for the CNY70′s (unfortunately Tayda doesn’t have them).
But it would cost me 6 euro for 2. So I decided to search on AliExpress.
And I’ve found them for just € 2,84 for 10!
Okay, I probably have to wait a couple of weeks for them to arrive.
But looking at my schedule for this month (all my weekends are booked with workshops I’m going to give), that shouldn’t be a problem.
The 4mm x 3mm magnets are sold out at Supermagnete and it will take a couple of weeks before I could order them.
As a replacement I found these at Magnetenspecialist.nl. They’re 4mm x 4mm.
Looking at the design of Primo the most important thing about the magnets is the width (4mm).
There’s enough room (I hope) for 1 mm extra height.
So I’ve ordered 40 of them. Now I can make 24 instructionblocks.
The Shrimp doesn’t have 3.3V on board.
And it could be that I need it for the XRF-modules.
I did two things to be able to add 3.3V to the Shrimp.
- At Ciseco I’ve ordered two extra sets of voltage regulators.
- At Tayda I’ve ordered some LM117 and 10uF capacitators
If I really need 3.3V I’ll try both and see how that works out.
In the end
I didn’t buy plywood yet, but this is what I’ve spend today on all the parts, incl. shipping costs:
Tayda: € 19,88
Ciseco: € 45,64
Magnetenspecialist: € 14,75
AlphaCrucis: € 29,35
AliExpress: € 2,84
2 Shrimps: approx. € 10,00
Total: € 122,46
So I saved € 57,54.
Comments are closed.